yukon gold potatoes
salt and pepper
- For variations, see below.
- Peel and quarter potatoes. Add to large pot, cover with 3" of cold water, and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and simmer potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid and drain potatoes in colander.
- Return potatoes to pot with milk, butter and 1/2 cup reserved liquid.
- Mash with potato masher until almost smooth, adding more cooking liquid as needed.
- Season to taste.
- Bacon-onion mash: Mix 8 chopped, cooked slices bacon and 3/4 cup finely chopped scallion greens into finished potatoes.
- Garlic mash: Wrap 1 head garlic in foil. Roast in 400 degree oven, 45 minutes. Squeeze cloves into milk for potatoes and mash with fork.
- Blue cheese mash: Use low-fat buttermilk instead of milk and fold in 3/4 cup blue cheese crumbles.
- Herb mash: Stir fresh herbs (such as 1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley, chives, or chervil) into finished potatoes.
- Extra creamy mash: Whisk 1/2 cup cream cheese and 3/4 cup chopped fresh chives into finished potatoes.
- Spicy mash: Fold 2 teaspoons canned chipotle in adobo sauce and 1/4 cup sour cream into finished potatoes.