( about 1 kilo)
( to suit your taste)
self raising flour
butter, room temp
- Apple mix:.
- Peel, core and slice the apples and set aside.
- In a large, heavy based frypan, melt the butter then add the sugar. When golden (almost brown) add the cinnamon. Remember to stir constantly as caramel burns fast!
- Add the apples and cook for 60 seconds.
- Pour mix evenly into a well greased and well lined 20cm round cake tin.
- Let cool while making the cake mix.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the flour, sugar, butter and vanilla, beat.
- Add the water a little at a time. It will be quite thick, this is correct.
- Gently add "blobs" of the mix all over and pat the cake mix over the apples (Wallis used a fork).
- Place into a pre-heated 200oC oven for 50 -55 minutes.
- Once cooked, cool in the tin for 10 mins and then turn onto a plate.
- traditionally enjoyed at room temperature with a blob of cream and a cup of tea for afternoon tea.