black mustard seeds
whole cumin seed
1 1/2 tablespoons
minced green chili
trimmed fresh spinach
- Soak nuts in warm water for 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain, wash and drain again.
- Heat ghee in a large pot over moderate heat.
- When hot, but not smoking, add the spice seeds and sugar.
- Fry until the seeds darken and the sugar caramelizes.
- Add the ginger, chiles, spinach, nuts, coconut and salt.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Uncover, gently turn the spinach over. Add water if necessary.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes. Stir in the nutmeg and heat through for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Garnish with lemon and serve.