3 1/2 lbs
frying chicken, cut into 8 pieces
( split breast and discard back pieces, or use for stock)
granny smith apples
yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
celery, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups
hard alcoholic cider
salt and pepper
- Peel and core apples. Finely chop half of one apple and cut the rest into 12 wedges. Toss the apple in lemon juice.
- Heat half the butter in large frying pan. Add the chicken pieces, skin side down, and cook until golden. Turn chicken over and cook another 5 minutes. Remove the chicken and pour off fat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in the same pan and add onion, celery and chopped apple. Fry over moderate heat for 5 minutes without browning.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle flour into mixture and stir. Add Calvados and return to heat. Gradually stir in cider. Bring to a boil, return chicken to pan, cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Heat remaining butter in small frying pan. Add apple wedges and fry over moderate heat until browned and tender. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the pan to a platter and keep warm. Skim excess fat from cooking liquid. Add creme fraiche, bring just to a boil and simmer 4 minutes, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and serve with warm apple wedges.