1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup
cooking apples, tart peeled, cored and thinly sliced
custard, to serve
- Mix the flour and salt in a bowl then using your finger tips rub in the butter or margarine and the lard or shortening until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add enough of the cold water to form firm dough.
- Roll out ¾ of the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line an oven proof plate.
- Cover with the apples and place in the cloves and sprinkle on the cinnamon and sugar.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and use to cover the pie moistening the edges to seal the lid.
- Flute the edges and decorate with the trimmings of the pastry.
- Cut a vent in the top of the pie and brush the top with milk.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C/400°F gas mark 6 for about 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
- Serve with custard or cream.