1 1/4 cups
boiling water, divided
basmati rice, rinsed
( any long-grain rice may be used)
( or butter)
fresh ginger, finely chopped
black mustard seeds
fresh green chili pepper, finely chopped
fresh coriander, finely chopped
fresh lime juice
freshly grated coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place saffron in a small bowl and pour 1/4 cup boiling water over it.
- Let stand at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a heavy saucepan.
- Add rice, stirring constantly to keep water at a boil.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cook over moderate heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Drain rice and set aside.
- Heat butter or ghee in a heavy 3-4 quart casserole with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add cashews, ginger, mustard seeds and clove.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until seeds begin to burst, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add remaining salt, chili pepper, rice, coriander, lime juice, coconut and remaining boiling water, stirring well.
- Sprinkle saffron and the water it soaked in over the top.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil.
- Place lid on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until rice has absorbed all liquid.
- Fluff with a fork before serving.