1 1/2 teaspoons
grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon ascorbic acid (optional) or 2 teaspoons
lemon juice to treat the apples
- Wash, peel and slice apples. Treat to prevent darkening - either with a produce protector or 2 tsp of lemon juice.
- Combine sugar, flour and spices. Rinse and drain apples; stir into sugar mixture.
- Let stand until juices begin to flow, about 30 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and zest.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken. Remove cloves, ladle pie filling into plastic freezer jars or containers, leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Cool at room temperature, not to exceed two hours. It is now ready to be used in a recipe or else, seal, label and freeze.