8 -10 lbs
, wings and thighs..
( or any part you like)
( I used un-bleached mostly)
1/4 cup cornmeal or 1/4 cup
buttermilk to cover the chicken
garlic cloves, opened
( or more)
Old Bay Seasoning
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 teaspoon
about 10 splashes of good hot sauce
( or more)
- 1.Wash and pat your chicken dry
- 2.Combine your spices( except the pepper corns), season and Rub most of it on the chicken. I usually set aside 3-4 Tablespoons to go into the flour before I season the chicken.
- 3.Place the chicken in a large bowl if you haven't already and cover with buttermilk and drop in your garlic, pepper corns and your hot sauce if you're using it.
- 4. Cover and place in the frig. for 1-2 hours or overnight is best.
- 5. When the chicken is finished marinating. Get your flour and breadcrumbs mixed with some of the reserved seasoning -- taste for saltiness. If you want add just another teaspoon of salt.
- 6. Heat up you oil to 375 degrees -- you'll know it's there when an old piece of bread gets crisp within seconds of hitting the oil.
- 7. Begin Taking your chicken from the marinade, letting the most of it run off and begin dropping the chicken into the flour mixture.I use a large paper bag for this most of the time. Set aside on a plate until your oil is ready. once it's ready.
- 8.Get out your tongs and start placing the biggest pieces first and let them fry up to an amber brown.
- 9. This recipe has a lot of spices in it and it cooks up darker than other recipes -- fast. so keep your oil at a steady temperature. If you notice the chicken getting dark too fast lower the temperature -- wait a few and start again.