ramps with greens, washed and patted dry, root ends trimmed
extra virgin olive oil
( to taste)
black pepper, freshly ground
pine nuts, toasted
parmesan cheese, grated
fresh lemon juice
( to taste)
- Cut the greens off of the ramps.
- Dice the bulbs into ¼-inch pieces.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Have a bowl of ice water next to the stove. Drop the greens into the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Lift the greens out of the water with a strainer and plunge them immediately into the ice water. Drain and squeeze dry. If they are still moist, roll them up into a kitchen towel and twist the ends tightly to squeeze out all of the excess moisture.
- Coarsely chop the greens and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the ramp bulbs, ¼ teaspoon of the salt and the pepper.
- Stir together and cook until the bulbs are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Place the ramp greens and bulbs in the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse a few times to chop them together, then process continuously for 1 minute.
- Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Process for 1 more minutes, or until the ramp mixture is very finely chopped.
- Add the pine nuts, Parmesan, remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, remaining ½ teaspoon salt and lemon juice and process until smooth.
- Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and/or lemon juice as needed.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.