dried split yellow peas
chili pepper, minced
1 1/2 medium
garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons
cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Rinse split peas and place in a pot with the water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes, skim occasionally.
- Heat the ghee in a frying pan, brown the chili and cumin seeds, then ad onion and garlic.
- Saute until onions are golden brown on the edges then add turmeric.
- Add spicy butter mixture to split peas, simmer for about 1 hour.
- Season with salt to taste.
- If the soup appears to be too thick, add more water for a medium-thick consistency.
- Fold in the cilantro leaves before serving.
- Serve hot.