whole wheat flour
( I used whole spelt flour)
buttermilk, might need more
( low fat)
- In a big bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center.
- Add buttermilk and stir to combine. Knead into a smooth, shaggy dough. If the dough is too wet, add more flour, if it is too dry, add a tad more buttermilk.
- On a lightly floured surface roll into a ball. Place on a paper-lined baking sheet and slightly pat down.
- Make a cross on top using a sharp knife. Sprinkle some flour on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 200°C/400°F for about 25 minutes checking in near the end to prevent overbrowning. If a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, it is ready. Alternatively you can tap it on the bottom and if it sounds hollow, it is ready.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- This is best eaten the day it is made, but will keep wrapped in a clean tea towel for a few days.