boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pounded between 2 sheets of waxed paper to 1/2-inch thickness
( about 1 1/4 lb)
salt, plus more to taste
fresh ground black pepper, plus more to taste
garlic cloves, chopped
( about 1 tablespoon)
( about 8 cups tightly packed)
low sodium chicken broth
canned no-salt added chopped tomato, with their juices
hot cooked whole wheat couscous
( from about 3/4 cup uncooked)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over med-high heat.
- Season the chicken on both sides with the salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook until browned and just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pan; add the garlic, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the spinach and cook just until wilted, 1-2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, then transfer the spinach to a bowl and set it aside.
- Add the vinegar, broth, and tomatoes to the pan and stir, scraping any browned bits off the bottom.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened, 3-5 minutes.
- Divide the couscous between 4 serving plates.
- Top with some of the spinach, then a piece of chicken and the balsamic-tomato sauce and serve.