1 (4 lb)
whole chickens, cleaned and cut into 4 pieces
celery, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
leek, cut into 2-inch lengths
white onion, peeled and quartered
kaffir lime leaf
whole dried red chili
whole black peppercorn
For matzoh balls
4 quarts chicken stock or 4 quarts
low sodium chicken broth
For poached vegetables
( white and pale green parts only)
shiitake mushroom, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- Cut off and discard top of each lemongrass stalk, leaving 6-inch stalk, then smash stalks with side of large heavy knife. Cut each stalk in half crosswise.
- In 8-quart stock pot over moderately high heat, combine all ingredients and 3 quarts cold water. Bring to simmer, skimming froth, then reduce heat to moderately low and gently simmer, uncovered, skimming froth occasionally, 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken, reserving for another use, then strain consommé through fine-mesh sieve into large bowl, discarding solids. If using consommé right away, skim off and discard any fat. If making ahead, cool consommé completely, uncovered, then chill, covered, and discard any solidified fat. (Consommé can be chilled up to 3 days or frozen 1 month.) Rewarm consommé before serving by bringing to gentle simmer in large pot over moderately high heat.).
- Make matzoh balls:.
- In large bowl, whisk together oil and eggs. Stir in matzoh meal and salt until well blended. Stir in 1/4 cup stock. Cover batter and refrigerate until cold and firm, at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day.
- Line large baking sheet with plastic wrap or parchment paper. Using wet hands, very gently shape batter into about 16 balls, each about 2 inches in diameter. Arrange on prepared sheet.
- In large stock pot over high heat, bring remaining stock to boil. Gently drop balls into stock, return to boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until balls are tender and cooked through, about 40 minutes. (Matzoh balls can be cooked up to 1 day ahead. Refrigerate stock and balls separately and rewarm balls before serving by simmering in stock 5 minutes.)
- While matzoh balls are cooking, poach vegetables:.
- Cut leeks crosswise into 2-inch lengths, then thinly slice lengthwise. Wash leek strips in bowl of cold water, agitating, then lift out and pat dry.
- In medium saucepan over high heat, bring 4 cups salted water to boil. Reduce heat to low, add leeks, and gently simmer, uncovered, until tender, about 7 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer leeks to small bowl. Add mushrooms to water and gently simmer, uncovered, until tender, about 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to second small bowl. Cover vegetables and keep warm. (Vegetables can be poached up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated, covered. Rewarm by simmering in water 30 seconds before proceeding.)
- Finish and serve:.
- Using slotted spoon, divide balls among 8 soup bowls. (Discard stock in which balls were cooked.) Top with leeks and mushrooms. Ladle warm consommé over and sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.