1 (18 1/4 ounce) packages
devil's food cake mix
( any chocolate cake mix will do)
1 (6 ounce) packages
instant chocolate pudding mix
( I use sugar free)
( low fat is fine)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon
coffee, if you don't have coffee add water instead
( instant or brewed)
semi-sweet chocolate chips
( I like mini and it's optional)
1 (7 ounce) jars
( 1 cup)
( use more if you want more peanut butter taste)
1/3 cup butter or 1/3 cup
1 1/2 cups
1 -2 tablespoon
- Cake:Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, applesauce, oil, eggs, coffee/water, milk, and vanilla. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Fill pan: 2 round cake pans, 1 bunt pan, or 24 cup cakes. **For cup cakes, spray or use liners and fill each with one level ice cream scoop, it makes the perfect amount.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes for cake or 20-25 min for cupcakes. It is done when the top is springy to the touch and a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean, test twice because you might have hit a chocolate chip the first time. Cool cake thoroughly in pan at least an hour and a half before inverting onto a plate and frosting.
- Frosting:In small bowl with mixer at low speed (or by hand), combine marshmallow creme, peanut butter, butter, and vanilla until blended.
- Increase speed to medium (or keep mixing by hand) and add confectioners' sugar and milk, adding just enough milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable.