distilled white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons
chiles de arbol, crushed
carrot, peeled and grated
yellow onion, thinly sliced
green cabbage, shredded
kosher salt, to taste
grated monterey jack cheese
- Combine vinegar, sugar, oregano, chiles, carrots, onions, and cabbage in a bowl. Season with salt; toss; let chill.
- Put masa harina and 1 3⁄4 cups water into a bowl; stir to form a dough.
- Pinch off a 1 1⁄2 oz piece of dough; roll it into a ball. Pat dough into a thin disk.
- Squeeze 1 1⁄4 oz cheese into a ball. Press cheese into center of dough; cupping dough, stretch edges of dough around cheese and seal.
- Pat dough to form a 3 1⁄2" wide disk. Repeat to make 12 pupusas in all.
- Heat a 12" nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in 3 batches, cook pupusas, turning, until golden, 10–12 minutes. Serve hot with slaw.