- Pour 200g sugar and 50g water into a large saucepan. On medium heat, twirl the pot around and caramelise the sugar until a dark golden colour.
- Add the boiling water, the kilo sugar and lemon slices.
- On low heat boil for 45 minutes until thick (stir it ocassionally if you must or leave it alone to do its own thing).
- Cool and pour into sterilised jars or bottles. Label and store in a cool place.
- The syrup when hot will always look watery but will thicken when cooled.
- If you find after cooling the syrup is not thick enough, don't panic - boil it again for a few more minutes.
- On the other hand if you find after cooling the syrup is way too thick, make up another half recipe, add the 'hard' syrup in as well and boil it all together for less than the required 45 minutes.