lemon, zest of
unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
lemon, juice of
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Grease a 13×9 inch pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup of the sugar, the baking powder and flour. Mix in the salt and the lemon zest, and stir together with a fork Cut in the butter and egg with a pastry blender (or two knives if you don’t have one) until the largest chunks are about pea-sized. The mixture should be crumbly without much loose flour.
- Spread about half of the dough mixture in an even layer over the bottom of the prepared pan and press down firmly to form the bottom crust.
- In another bowl, stir together the remaining sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the strawberries with a rubber spatula until combined. Spread the berry mixture evenly over the bottom crust Crumble the remaining dough over the top of the berries.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top is slightly golden brown.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares and serving.