unsalted butter, room temperature,plus additional for pan
9 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 9 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped or 9 ounces
semi-sweet chocolate chips
unsweetened chocolate, chopped
eggs, at room temperature
egg yolk, at room temperature
flour, plus aditional for pan
- Position the rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour an 8 inch square baking pan;set it aside.
- Place the butter and BOTH kinds of chocolate in the top of double boiler set over simmering water.
- Stir constantly until half the butter and chocolate are melted.
- Remove the top part of the double boiler from the pot.
- Continue stirring away from the heat until the butter and chocolate are completely melted.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes.
- In large bowl beat the eggs, egg yolk, and sugar with whisk or electric mixer at medium speed.
- Continue beating until the mixture is thick and pale yellow, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Beat in vanilla and chocolate mixture until smooth.
- With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, stir in the flour and salt, just until incorporated, DO NOT BEAT.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- spreading gently to all corners.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- The middle of the brownies will be soft; they will set up as they cool.
- Set the pan on wire rack to cool, at least 2 hours.
- Cut into 16 squares,they will stay fresh for 5 days.
- They can also be sealed in a freezer-safe bag and frozen for up to 3 months.