1 1/4 cups
Fresh Berry Frosting
1 (3 ounce) packages
cream cheese, softened
finely chopped fresh strawberries
fresh strawberries, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°; spray three 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and vanilla at medium speed with a mixer until fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder; sift.
- Gradually add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold into batter.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans, and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- While cake is cooling, make frosting-in a large bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, and strawberry extract at medium speed with a mixer until creamy.
- Add strawberries, beating until combined.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar until combined.
- Spread strawberry jam between layers; spread frosting on top and sides of cake.
- Garnish with strawberries, if desired.
- Store cake, covered, in refrigerator up to 3 days.