1 1/2 cups
self rising flour
finely chopped apples
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt the butter in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish or cake pan.
- In a saucepan, heat sugar and water until sugar melts; set aside.
- Cut shortening into flour until particles are like fine crumbs. Add milk, and stir with a fork only until dough leaves the side of the bowl. Turn out onto lightly floured board or pastry cloth, knead just until smooth.
- Roll dough out into a large rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over chopped apples, then sprinkle apples evenly over dough. Roll up dough like a jelly roll. Dampen the edge of the dough with a little water and pinch to seal.
- Slice dough into about 16 slices, 1/2 inch thick. Place in pan with melted butter.
- Pour sugar syrup carefully around rolls. This looks like too much liquid, but the crust will absorb it.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Makes 8 servings.