flour, plus 2 tablespoons flour
cold unsalted butter
apples, cored & sliced, no need to peel
cold butter, cut into cubes
- For the crust: Pulse the flour and salt together in a food processor, just to combine. Then cut the cold butter into cubes. Add to the flour and pulse in the processor until the bits are smaller than peas. Turn on the processor, and slowly pour the water into it. As it mixes, the dough will start to stick together. Done.
- If you do not have a food processor, cut the butter in with a pastry blender.
- Form your dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and stick it in the fridge. Let it chill while you prepare the filling.
- For the filling: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine sugars, salt, flour & cinnamon.
- Set aside.
- Put the apple slices in a bowl, add the lemon juice and give it a stir.
- Add the dry mixture and stir to coat.
- Add in the lemon zest, and another quick stir.
- Set aside.
- Roll out your pie crust.
- Lay rolled pie crust dough onto a bar pan or cookie sheet with an edge, lined with parchment paper.
- Pile your apples in the center.
- Simply begin folding the edges of the dough over the apples, gently pressing them into place.
- Dot the apples with the butter pieces.
- Bake the galette for 35-45 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
- Allow it to rest and cool for 10 minutes or more before serving.
- The inside will ooze when you cut it, that's normal.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.