snow peas, trimmed
green onion, white part only thinly sliced
( save the green part to garnish another dish)
cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
beef sirloin, very thinly sliced
( look for sukiyaki sliced beef at an asian market)
1 1/2 teaspoons
cooked brown rice
shichimi pepper, to taste
- Bring a very small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the snow peas and cook for 1 minute, until the color turns very bright. Drain and set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, and saute until it starts to soften.
- Add the mushrooms, and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, until they start to soften.
- Add the beef and sugar, stir to combine all of the ingredients, and cook until the beef starts to brown.
- Add the dashi, soy sauce, mirin, and sake; and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes over high heat.
- ***If using in a bento, place the meat mixture in a bowl and allow to cool before packing in the box on top of the rice. Garnish with the blanched snow peas and shichimi pepper.
- If serving immediately, place the cooked rice in a deep bowl, then top with the meat mixture and some of the cooking liquid. Place the snow peas on top and sprinkle with the shichimi pepper.