50 g ground nuts (I used hazelnuts, but almonds are traditional) or 50 g
( I used hazelnuts, but almonds are traditional)
marzipan, cut into small chunks
about 40 whole almond, blanched
- In a large bowl beat egg white and powdered sugar with a wire whisk until thick and creamy. You may also use your electric mixer for this, but be careful not to overbeat the egg whites, you dont want them to form peaks. Add the ground nuts or almonds and stir to combine.
- Knead in the marzipan until a soft, but not too sticky dough forms. If dough is too sticky to handle, add a few more tbs ground nuts until the consistency is easy to work with.
- Chill dough for about 30 minutes.
- With dampened hands (this is important, you have to redampen your hands every once in a while or this will turn into a nightmare) form 40 small balls and place them on a paper lined cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl beat the egg yolk, then use this to glaze each cookie.
- Press one whole blanched almond atop each cookie.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 150°C/300°F for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned, but not too dry.