red chili pepper flakes, crushed
garlic cloves, chopped
fresh ginger, 10cm, peeled and thinly sliced
kaffir lime leaves
( about 10cm each)
lemongrass, tied into a knot
chicken thighs, and legs
jasmine rice, for serving
- Finely grind the coriander and chilli flakes in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. Put the spice mixture into a small food processor with the garlic, onions and ginger and puree to a paste. Adding 1-2 tablespoons of water, if necessary.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole or saucepan with lid, over medium-low heat. Add the paste.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 5-7 minutes.
- Add lime leaves, cinnamon and lemongrass. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cinnamon is fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium, add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in 1 only cup of coconut milk, 1 1/4 cups of water and the salt.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender, 40-50 minutes.
- Add the remaining coconut milk; cook for 2 minutes.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving with rice, leaving the cinnamon sticks behind.