1 1/2 cups
rum, Brandy or
- Mix the sugar, water and syrup in a medium pan. Boil on medium high heat until mixture forms a thread (230 to 233 Degrees F).
- While mixture is boiling, beat 6 egg whites until stiff peaks form, saving beaten yolks in a separate bowl.
- In a Kitchen Aid Mixer on 2 to 4 speed, slowly pour hot syrup mixture over the stiffly beaten egg whites. Do not scrape the hot pan. Beat mixture on high until it cools slightly -- 2 to 3 minutes. Then SLOWLY add beaten egg yolks. Beat a few more minutes more, then add vanilla and baking powder. Beat until mixture is cool.
- (Note: Before adding beaten egg yolks, make sure the mixture is very warm, BUT NOT HOT. You don't want the eggs to scramble, but you do want to kill any bacteria. You more experienced cooks can also temper the yolks with about 1/4 cup of the hot mixture, before adding to the mixer.).
- Store in refrigerator in a covered container for about a week.
- To make Tom & Jerry drink:.
- Pour a shot of Rum or Brandy or Cognac into a coffee mug.*.
- Fill mug about 2/3's full with boiling water.
- Top with 2 to 3 heaping tablespoons of batter.
- Sprinkle top with grated nutmeg.
- *Can also use about 1/4 tsp rum extract for non-alcoholic drink.