uncooked basmati rice
bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
finely chopped celery
finely chopped onion
sliced fresh mushrooms
( more if you're not using the celery and onions)
2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups
2 -3 cloves
fresh ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 F or 220 C.
- If you are using a fan assisted oven, you can cut the heat by about 10 percent.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and sauté the rice and bacon for two minutes.
- Add the celery, onion and mushrooms.
- Cook and stir for a further 2-4 minutes, until the vegetables just start to soften.
- Pour into a large casserole dish.
- Stir in the broth and garlic.
- Add a generous amount of black pepper and a couple pinches of oregano.
- Mix well.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked.