2 -4 tablespoons bacon fat or 2 -4 tablespoons
regular yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons
1 1/2 cups
cooked bacon, chopped
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees F.
- Measure fat into a 10" cast iron skillet, and place in oven.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Add buttermilk, egg, and honey. Add bacon, if using.
- Whisk well until thoroughly combined.
- Pour half of hot fat from skillet into batter, stir well. Pour batter into hot skillet, top with freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden and crusty, and the center is firm and bounces back when pressed.