sweet pumpkin, peeled, cut into 3/4 inch chunks
size onion, finely chopped
garlic clove, minced
canned plum tomatoes, chopped into small chunks
( Iraqi's use corn oil but we are allergic to corn)
sea salt, to taste
( I always use recipe#442889, to taste)
( or to taste)
- Put oil, onions, pepper, and spices into a large pot and sauté on medium flame until the onions are soft and golden adding the minced garlic near the end of cooking time.
- Add tomato chunks (no liquid yet, save that for later) sauté the tomatoes a short time.
- Add 1 cup water, including the liquid from the canned tomatoes too and the pumpkin chunks.
- Let cook until they are slightly soft.
- Dissolve the tomatoes paste in 1 cup water and add it into pot, together with the sea salt.
- Cover the pot, and bring to a boil then lower flame to a simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Shut off flame.
- You may remove to serving dish and serve immediately; however, the taste is better after it sits for a longer period of time. If doing that, allow to cool, then refrigerate in the same pot for a day. When reheating, use the same pot: if needed add a little bit of water, bring it to boil, and let it sit on low
- flame for a couple of minutes. Transfer to serving dish and serve.