cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
( canned is fine)
medjool dates, pitted
( about 20 large dates)
3 tablespoons oil or 3 tablespoons
unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Generously grease 8" by 8" baking pan.
- In food processor, place dates, 2 cups black beans, and oil or butter and puree until smooth.
- Add baking soda, vanilla, and 1/4 cup cocoa powder and puree until completely smooth.
- Taste and add additional cocoa powder, one tablespoon at a time, pureeing and taste testing after each addition, as desired. Taste testing is necessary because dates often vary in sweetness. (I use 1/2 cup cocoa powder because I prefer my brownies to taste like dark chocolate.) Mixture should taste deeply fudgy and chocolaty and not taste like black beans, dates, or overly sweet. Mixture should taste like rich dark chocolate but not bitter. Allow food processor to blend for 3 to 5 minutes without stop to emulsify.
- Pour batter into deep bowl. Add eggs and combine with electric mixer.
- Pour batter into greased baking pan. Bake until slightly firm on top and edges pull away from the sides of the pan for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and cut into 6 pieces. Eat while warm. Store in refrigerator or freeze. Brownies are still delicious when they are eaten slightly cold.