1 1/2-2 lbs
flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground sea salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons
light olive oil
yellow onions, chopped
feta cheese, crumbled
phyllo pastry sheets
1/2 cup butter, melted or 1/2 cup
- Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- (For fresh spinach) Working in batches, wash and drain the spinach. Discard any large stems and chop the leaves coarsely. Combine the spinach, parsley, dill, green onions and salt. Let stand in a colander for 15 minutes and then press out the liquid. (For frozen spinach) Thaw the spinach and squeeze out most of the water, leaving just a little to prevent it drying out in the oven. Combine with the parsley, dill, green onions and salt.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering, then add the onions and saute until transparent.
- Adjust the heat to medium, add the spinach mixture in batches and saute until the spinach and herbs are wilted.
- Turn off the heat and stir the feta and black pepper into the mixture.
- Butter a 10"x17"x2" baking pan and lay 8 filo sheets in the bottom, brushing each layer with butter or spraying it with oil.
- Spread the spinach mixture into the baking pan.
- Cover with the remaining filo sheets, brushing each layer with butter or spraying it with oil.
- Bake until the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes.