( about 3 lbs give or take)
1/2 cup red wine or 1/2 cup
garlic cloves, peeled
celery, cut in half
carrot, cut in half
1 dash herbes de provence, thyme or 1 dash
herbs, combination of your choice
- Crumple three pieces of aluminum foil and place in the middle of your slow cooker.
- Add wine, garlic, onion, celery and carrot.
- Place chicken on top of aluminum foil. (You may have to push the chicken down a bit so it'll all fit in there!).
- Sprinkle chicken with herbs, salt and pepper.
- Set slow cooker to high and cook for 1/2 hour per pound.
- When ready, stick a meat thermometer into leg to ensure it is done. Transfer chicken to a roasting pan and set oven to 500º Fahrenheit.
- Roast for 8-10 minutes, or until skin is golden brown.
- Serve with roast root vegetables, mashed potatoes, or anything else you'd like!
- The best part of this recipe? After your done cooking everything, you'll have a considerable amount of jus left over from the chicken. Whisk it with some cornstarch for a truly delicious gravy, or save it in your fridge or freezer for at-the-ready soup stock when you need it in a pinch. (It's so much better than bouillon.).