1 (16 1/4 ounce) boxes
white cake mix
( Betty Crocker SuperMoist)
1 1/4 cups
unsweetened baking cocoa
royal blue paste food coloring
toothpickful violet paste food coloring
1 (7 ounce) jars
1 cup butter or 1 cup
2 1/2 cups
CANDY GARNISH (OPTIONAL)
blue food coloring
- Heat oven to 325°F Prepare three 8-inch round cake pans by greasing and lightly flouring the bottoms and sides; alternatively, spray with baking spray with flour.
- Add cake ingredients to large bowl and beat with electric mixer on low speed about 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Divide batter among pans. Bake 22 to 27 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched in center. Cool 15 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
- Add marshmallow crème into large microwavable bowl. Microwave uncovered on High 15 to 20 seconds to soften. Add butter. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar and salt until smooth.
- If needed, trim tops of 2 cake layers to flatten before assembling. Place one cake layer, top side down, on cake plate; spread with 1/3 cup frosting. Top with second layer, top side down; spread it with 1/3 cup frosting. Top with untrimmed cake layer, top side up. Frost side and top of cake with remaining frosting. Cover loosely for storing.
- For the optional candy garnish, line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Add sugar, corn syrup, and water to 2-quart saucepan and stir together over medium heat until sugar dissolves; heat to boiling. Without stirring, heat to 300°F to 310°F, or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold forms hard, brittle threads. Remove from heat and stir in desired amount of blue food color. Pour onto cookie sheet in random design. Let cool, and break into pieces. Garnish cake with candy pieces as desired.