1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1
fresh diced garlic clove
4 (15 ounce) cans
1 (15 ounce) cans
1 (10 ounce) cans
Rotel tomatoes & chilies, diced
1 (1 1/4-1 1/2 ounce) packets
taco seasoning, I use McCormicks
10 (8 inch)
( cut into small pieces, about 1-inchx1-inch)
chicken meat, poached, diced
1 cup milk or 1 cup
12 ounces monterey jack cheese or 12 ounces
Mexican blend cheese, shredded
corn tortilla chips, broken into small pieces for garnish
- Saute carrots, onions, celery in corn oil, garlic, salt and pepper until tender.
- Add chicken broth and bring to boil.
- Add tomatoes, Rotel, taco seasoning, and chicken.
- Cut Tortillas into small pieces and add to broth mixture.
- Let boil for 20 minutes or until tortillas are thoroughly incorporated into soup stirring occasionally to keep from sticking.
- Reduce heat and add 8 oz. cheese. Simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- Add milk and simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- If thicker soup is desired, add more diced tortillas and let incorporate into soup.
- Garnish with shredded cheese and broken tortilla chips.
- Substitutions: 1 cup Masa Harina (Masa Flour) for 1 10 ct. package of corn tortillas. Gradually add masa flour mixing into broth, mixing thoroughly into broth. If thicker soup is desired, add more masa flour.
- You can also use grilled chicken fajita meat for poached diced chicken.