3 1/4 cups
vegetable oil, Divided Use
1 1/2 cups
whole eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups
all-purpose flour, plus extra for dredging hot dogs
whole hot dogs
- Place a layer of vegetable oil into a skillet and heat to 375 degrees F.
- I use a candy thermometer to monitor my oil temperature.
- Into a large bowl, add the milk, eggs, and ¼ cup vegetable oil.
- Whisk to combine; set aside.
- Into a separate bowl add, salt, sugar, 1 ½ cups flour, cornmeal and baking powder.
- Whisk to combine.
- GRADUALLY add flour mixture to wet ingredients.
- Mix until well incorporated.
- Insert skewers half way into each hot dog (be careful not to pierce all the way through the hot dog).
- On a plate, add enough flour to dredge hot dogs.
- Dredge hot dogs in flour and then dip them into batter mixture.
- Carefully place battered hot dogs into the hot oil. Do not crowd pan. I did mine 2 at a time.
- Cook until golden, turning (with a spatula so they don't stick to the pan) so they’re evenly browned on all sides.
- Transfer corn dogs to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Continue until you have desired amount of corn dogs.
- Serve with ketchup, mustard, cheese sauce or whatever you like.