smoked ham hock
french green lentils
ground black pepper
- Cover the hamhock with cold water in a large heavy based saucepan.
- Bring to the boil.
- Simmer for an hour.
- Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Peel carrots and onion.
- Roughly chop carrots, onion and celery.
- Mince garlic.
- Slice sausage in thick slices on an angle.
- Fry til brown on both sides in olive oil in the same saucepan.
- Remove and set aside.
- Fry garlic and onion in pan til onion is translucent.
- Add other vegetables and stir fry for five minutes or so.
- Place ham hock and bouquet garni in saucepan.
- Cover with stock and top up with water so meat is covered.
- Bring to boil and simmer uncovered for 20 mins.
- Add lentils and sausage.
- Simmer uncovered for 40 more minutes, until lentils are soft.
- Remove ham hock and shred meat into large chunks.
- Replace shredded meat in stew.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.