cajeta caramel sauce
- Separate eggs carefully,reserving the whites for another use.Make sure to put the yolks in a heatproof bowl,within easy reach of the stove.
- Mix milk,sugar, 1/2 cup of the cream,and the salt in a pot and cook over medium heat until just under a boil,stirring occasionally.Slowly pour a small amount of milk into the egg yolks while beating them steadily with a wire whisk.Continue adding the milk(add about 1/2 of the milk in the pan) whisking the whole time to temper the eggs.
- Add the egg yolk mixture back to the pot,whisking to thoroughly combine.Cook over medium-low stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and lightly coats the spoon,about ten minute,It's very important that you do not let the custard boil or the eggs will curdle;if it threatens to come to a boil reduce heat,and do not stop stirring!
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.Strain the custard into a heat proof bowl and mix in the cajeta and the remaining 1/2 cup cream.Set the bowl inside a larger bowl filled with ice and stir occasionally until cooled.Refrigerate until completely cold.
- Freeze according to manufacturer's directions for you ice cream maker.It will probably take about 20 minutes to freeze(it will become difficult for the paddle in the machine to turn).stir in nuts by hand and place in freezer until completely frozen.
- Top with extra cajeta and nuts if desired,.