dry white wine
lemon, peel of, cut in one continuous spiral if possible
lemon juice, freshly squeezed
2 1/2 lbs
- In a large, non-aluminum saucepan, combine honey and wine. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook, stirring constantly, until honey is completely dissolved.
- Add lemon peel, lemon juice, thyme, bay leaves, and peppercorns.
- Place figs in wine syrup and poach over low heat, uncovered, for four minutes, turning figs every minute.
- Remove figs with a slotted spoon and place in a ceramic bowl.
- Reduce poaching liquid to about 1-1/2 cups. Spoon over figs and chill.
- Serve figs with some of the poaching liquid in individual bowls.