walnut halves, and pieces
dates, pitted and roughly chopped
( I used medjool)
( Optional-but it gives the cookies a little bit of color and an interesting contrast of flavors)
( Increased from 1 teaspoon. The mixture required more in order to form into a ball.)
( reduced from 1 1/2 teaspoons)
orange blossom water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place walnuts, dates (and barberries if using) in a small food processor and PULSE until coarsely ground.
- PULSE in oil, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom, orange blossom water and salt. Stop the machine from time to time and scrape down the sides of the bowl to help the mixture to blend well and form into a ball properly.
- Continue to pulse until mixture begins to form a ball. <<This step took about 3-4 minutes in our food processor.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop dough (I used a small, oiled cookie scoop), 1 tablespoon at a time, onto prepared baking sheet, forming into balls; flatten slightly.
- Bake for 6–8 minutes, until firm.
- Cool on baking sheet.