dried cannellini beans
( 400 grams)
brown onion, coarsely chopped
garlic cloves, sliced thinly
rindless bacon, rashers chopped coarsely
( 130 grams)
( 4 teaspoons)
flat leaf parsley, finely chopped for decoration
- Wash and strain the beans. Place the beans in a large bowl and cover with water. Stand overnight and then drain them. RInse under fresh cold water and drain the beans again.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion, garlic and bacan. Cook, stirring until the onion softens.
- Stir in the beans, sugar, syrup and mustard. Add undrained tomatoes and the water and then bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 2 hours or until the beans are tender.
- Uncover, cook, stirring occassionally, about 30 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Serve beans on toast, sprinkled with parsley.