1 1/2 cups
egg yolks, lightly beaten
pastry shells, baked
4 (1 ounce)
semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, melted
bananas, medium firm, sliced
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch & salt, then gradually add milk & cream, stirring until smooth.
- Cook & stir over medium-high heat until thickened & bubbly, about 2 minutes.
- While stirring the egg yolks, add a small amount of this hot mixture to the egg yolks & continue to stir to mix well, before returning the egg mixture to the saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle boil & cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, before removing from the heat & adding in the butter & vanilla while stirring to mix well.
- Pour half of this mixture into the pastry shell, then cover & refrigerate.
- Add the chocolate to the remaining custard, mixing well, then cover & refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Arrange the sliced bananas over the filling, then carefully spoon the chocolate custard over the bananas.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.