unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
buttermilk, as needed
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Whisk dry ingredients in a medium-size bowl.
- Using pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture is crumbly with a few pea-size pieces of butter.
- Stir in enough of the buttermilk to make a soft, sticky dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly flourd surface.
- Quick knead dough just until it comes together being careful not to overknead.
- Roll out dough until it is 1/2-inch thick.
- Using a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits and place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, about 18 minutes.
- Variations: Biscuits with Cheddar, Chives and Pepper--after you have cut butter into mixture, add 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives and 1/2 teaspoon coarsly cracked black pepper.
- Mix gently, then stir in the buttermilk.