earth balance vegan butter
shallot, finely chopped
( approx. 1/4 cup)
low sodium vegetable broth
whole wheat couscous
pine nuts, toasted
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add chopped shallot and simmer for about 2-3 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to boil. Once boiling remove from heat and add couscous. Give it a quick stir and cover. Let it sit covered for 10 minutes.
- While it's sitting toast pine nuts. Put the pine nuts in a small pan and cook over low-medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, until the nuts are fragrant. Shake the pan around a few times too.
- Lastly, add the pine nuts and currants to the couscous and stir to combine everything.
- * TIP - You can buy the pine nuts and currants in the bulk section of Whole Foods or some supermarkets so that way you don't have to get more than need.