2 1/2 cups
garlic cloves, 3 minced and 1 mashed
1 1/2 lbs
portabella mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 cups
grated mozzarella cheese
1 1/4 cups
grated parmesan cheese
- In a medium saucepan, melt 3 Tbs. butter over low heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the hot milk, then the smashed garlic clove and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Bring the garlic sauce to a boil and cook, whisking, until thickened, 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the lasagna noodles for 8 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl of cold water.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet, melt the remaining 2 Tbs, butter over low heat. Add the onions and chopped garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms, increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, until dry, 5-7 minutes.
- Using a food processor, puree the basil leaves with the cream. Set aside 1/2 cup basil cream.
- Stir the remaining basil cream and 1/2 cup parmesan into the mushroom mixture; season with salt and pepper.
- Grease a 2 quart rectangular baking dish, and spread 3/4 cup reserved garlic sauce on the bottom. Drain the lasagna noodles and lay 3, lengthwise, in the baking dish, trimming the ends with scissors to fit the pan.
- Top with half of the mushroom mixture, half the mozarella cheese and a layer of noodles and repeat.
- Combine the remaining garlic sauce and basil cream; spoon on top. Sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup parmesan.
- Bake until golden, 40-45 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes.