black pepper, freshly ground
onion, thinly sliced
garlic cloves, thinly sliced
( 3 1/2 to 4 pounds)
( kosher or sea)
- Combine the beer, oil, mustard, paprika, and pepper in a large nonreactive bowl and whisk thoroughly to blend. Stir in the onion, garlic, and bay leaves.
- Rinse the chicken pieces under cold running water, then drain and blot dry with paper towels. Add to the marinade in the bowl and turn to coat. Cover and let marinate, in the refrigerator, for 6 hours or up to 2 days (the longer the better), turning the pieces occasionally.
- Preheat the grill, using the two-tiered method.
- When ready to cook, remove the chicken pieces from the marinade, reserving the marinade, and blot dry. Season the pieces generously with salt. Oil the grill grate and arrange the chicken, skin side down, on the grate over the hotter section of the grill and cook. During the first 10 minutes only, brush several times with the reserved marinade.
- Transfer the chicken pieces to serving plates and serve immediately.