nonstick cooking spray
1 1/3 cups
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Coat an 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine 2/3 cups of the sugar, all the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Stir well to blend.
- Whisk in the oil, milk, and both extracts.
- Batter will be stiff.
- Scrape batter into oiled pan and smooth on top.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cocoa and remaining 2/3 cup sugar.
- Sprinkle this over the batter.
- Pour the boiling water over the batter, do not stir!
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes, or until top of cake looks crisp and crackled.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.