( or canola oil)
onion, thinly sliced
garlic clove, finely chopped
grated fresh ginger
1 (28 ounce) cans
1 (15 ounce) cans
black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
ripe plantain, halved lengthwise and cut into chunks
( or 2 firm bananas)
- Heat oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook about 10 minutes or until golden and tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in garlic, ginger and cayenne and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes and peas and bring to a simmer. Cook 15 minutes or until peas are tender and flavors blended. Stir in salt.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a separate skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add plantains or bananas and cook about 5-8 minutes or until browned on both sides, gently flipping halfway through cooking.
- Serve alongside black-eyed peas in a shallow bowl.