5 -6 tablespoons
extra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
Italian turkey sausage, cut into 4 inch long links
( ideal to use dark meat)
coarse salt, to taste
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
yellow onions, peeled and finely diced
( about 2 cups)
garlic cloves, peeled and minced
2 (28 ounce) cans
whole peeled tomatoes with their juice
grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausages and cook, turning them occasionally, until browned all over - about 10 minutes. Remove the sausages to a plate.
- Add the ground turkey to the pot and add salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until browned. Remove to a separate plate.
- Add another 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil to the pot and add the onion and garlic. Cook until they soften and just begin to brown - about another 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice along with about a 1/2 cup of water (used to swish out the cans).
- Add the ground turkey, stir the sauce well and then nestle in the turkey sausages. Bring the sauce to a boil, season to taste with salt and pepper(doesn't really need much-if at all-salt at this point). Turn the heat to low.
- Cover almost completely iwth a lid (letting the steam escape from one side) and gently simmer for about 4 hours - adding splashes of water every hour or so if the sauce is drying out at all.
- Uncover the sauce and stir in the tomato paste. Barely cover the pot this time and simmer for another hour.
- When it's almost time to serve, bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt generously. Add the rigatoni and cook according to the pacakage directions.
- Serve the sauce over the cooked rigatoni with a good grating of Parmesan cheese on top.