green onions, sliced
garlic cloves, smashed
1 1/2 cups
coarsely chopped mushrooms
( about 4 oz)
lean ground chicken
sweet red pepper, diced
chopped fresh coriander
hot pepper sauce
1 1/2 cups
chopped canned tomatoes
packed brown sugar
( I use brown sugar twin)
1 1/2 teaspoons
- Using sharp knife, remove core from cabbage.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, blanch cabbage for 10 to 15 minutes or until leaves are softened.
- With tongs, remove and chill in cold water; set aside on towel, core down, to drain.
- Filling: In large nonstick frypan, heat oil over medium high heat; cook onions, garlic and ginger, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms; cook stirring, for 5 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- Add chicken; cook, stirring and breaking up with wooden spoon, for about 5 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Add red pepper, coriander, soy sauce and hot pepper sauce; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in rice.
- Let cool slightly.
- Stir in egg.
- Working from core end of cabbage, carefully remove 12 leaves, trim off coarse backbone.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup filling onto each leaf.
- Fold end and sides over filling; roll up.
- Place rolls in single layer in large casserole dish.
- Sauce: In bowl, stir together tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, soy and oyster sauces, ginger and sesame oil.
- Pour over cabbage rolls.
- Cover and bake in 350°F oven for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and baste with sauce; cook, uncovered for 20 minutes longer or until sauce is bubbling and rolls are tender.