2 -3 tablespoons
onion, finely chopped
bell pepper, finely chopped
garlic cloves, minced
1 cup kidney beans or 2 cups
black beans, drained
salt and pepper, to taste
hot cooked rice
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high flame. Add the onions, bell pepper and garlic and sauté for about 2-3 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Stir in the drained beans, some of their reserved liquid, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and continue to simmer until heated through.
- Add the rice and stir into the beans and heat through. Adjust seasoning and add a little more bean liquid if necessary. Serve hot.
- •Casamiento (Salvadoran black beans and rice): Use black beans instead of red beans.
- •Nicaraguans on the Caribbean coast use coconut oil instead of regular vegetable oil.
- •Stir in some chopped cilantro.
- •Add a few dashes of bottled pepper sauce or Worcerstershire sauce for added flavor.