garlic clove, crushed
arugula leaf, washed
( Retained from mushrooms )
( stewing steak)
swiss cheese, cubed
portabella mushrooms, finely chopped
( stalks only)
egg yolk, free-range
salt & freshly ground black pepper
barbecue sauce, gluten free
( such as HP Honey Flavour Mild BBQ Sauce)
dried mild red chili peppers, flakes
( such as aji panca Chile )
vidalia onions, sliced
garlic cloves, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- To make the relish; sauté the onions in the oil over a medium heat.
- When the onions have softened, approximately 10 mins, add the garlic and sauté for another ten mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chilli flakes, bbq and Worchester sauce mix and continue to cook on a medium heat for a further 5 minutes.
- Season to taste and set aside.
- Wipe clean the mushrooms of any debris(don't wash).
- Remove stalks and set aside for the burgers.
- Combine the oil and garlic together.
- Brush the mushrooms inside and out with the garlic oil (any remaining oil should be kept to dress the Arugula).
- Place the mushrooms CAP SIDE UP on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to hot.
- Place the steak in a food processer or mincer and process until finely minced.
- Place minced steak, chopped onion, mushroom, mustard, egg yolk, olive oil and seasoning in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Using your hands, shape into four equal-sized patties, make a slight indentation in the centre of the patty And place about an ounce of cheese in the indent, bring the mixture around to cover the cheese and reflatten slightly ensuring all the cheese is covered. Repeat with the remaining patties.
- Cook the burgers under the grill for 15 minutes, or until cooked through, turning once.
- To assemble, place a mushroom CAP SIDE DOWN on a serving dish.
- Lightly dress the arugula in the garlic oil retained from the mushrooms, take a small handful and place on the mushroom.
- Add a burger, then relish and top with another burger CAP SIDE UP.
- Repeat with remaining burgers and serve hot with salad and fries.